bran makes anything healthy even cupcakes right?
cream cheese frosting
leftover birthday cupcake wrappers
Carrot bran “muffcakes” with molasses icing.
Last time I made these cupcakes they were amazingly delicious, but since I’ve been eating less sugar lately I couldn’t eat more than a couple. I decided that this time I would try a “healthier” version with less sugar that was more like a bran muffin with icing (since I’m a sucker for cream cheese icing) so that I could eat lots of them. I still haven’t decided how I feel about the molasses in the icing. Even though I am obsessed with molasses, I think I may be a cream cheese frosting purist in the end.
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins and apples.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and gradually mix in the oil, applesauce and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon/spices. Stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Add the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Fill cupcake wrappers to the top with batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake tests done with a knife or toothpick. When completely cooled, top with cream cheese icing .
- One 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
In a bowl beat together icing ingredients until fluffy. Spread icing on cupcakes.